Bidirectional Modem Port on Open Desktop (SCO Unix)

rick at tmiuv0.uucp rick at tmiuv0.uucp
Wed Sep 12 21:03:25 AEST 1990

In article <699 at lafayet.UUCP>, rob at lafayet.UUCP (Rob Freyder) writes:
> Greetings

Greetings, Earthling.   8-)
> 	I am trying to get a bidirectional modem port to work properly under
> Open Desktop.  I have Telebit T2500 connected to tty1a.  Can someone help
> me with the configuration.
>
> If the port is disabled we are successful at dialing out.  When we enable
> the port we can dial in but it disconnects immediately.  (DTR drops low).
>
> We are using uugetty instead of getty..  any suggestions ?

Uhm, do you have the modem programmed to not output any status messages?
All you want the modem to do is assert CD, but not have any "RING" or
"CONNECT" messages spit out.  It's possible that your (uu)getty is seeing
those messages as an attempt to log in.  Make sure you're modem is set to
"quiet" mode.  On my T1000 in enhanced command mode, I have it set to

    ATE0 Q4 S51=255 S52=1 S53=2 S54=3

(I put in spaces to make it more readable).  I have that saved in the NVRAM.
Check your manual, there's a section on suggested unattended S-register
settings.  I used that as a starting basis.

This seems to work fine under ESIX SVR3.2.2-D.  Perhaps they'll work for
you.

[- O] Rick Stevens, Technology Marketing Incorporated
  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop
  V   CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355 at compuserve.com from Internet)
      (Opinions are mine.  No one listens to me here anyway.)

"Lead, follow, or get the h*ll out of the way!"