ESIX compress(1) broken (was: Re: Using Interactive TPWB...)

Chuck Murcko cmurcko at gvlf8-g.gvl.unisys.com
Sat Jan 12 18:26:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan11.061409.4396 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:

>>It IS the one from the net. It's just built without the DEBUG flag.
>
>In the sources I have, the DEBUG flag enables -D, not -d.
>
>And here's the usage message from the ESIX compress:
>
>$ compress -x
>Unknown flag: 'x'; Usage: compress [-dfvcuV] [-b maxbits] [file ...]
>
>It shows -d as a valid option, yet it doesn't work...
>--
>John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

In the MIT X Windows distribution, the DEBUG flag turns on the -d AND -D
flags. Maybe ESIX blew the compile, maybe not. Maybe they edited the source.
My advice is to take the advice of the rest of the folks on the net and
either edit the cnews scripts to use uncompress or build your own from source
with DEBUG enabled and replace the ones from ESIX.

Chuck