The INfamous inode bug

Larry Jones scjones at thor.UUCP
Tue Jan 8 08:38:24 AEST 1991

In article <43 at esacs.UUCP>, pizzi at esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) writes:
> [ asks about the infamous system V lost inode bug ]

Since the very early days of System V, the file system code has
contained a bug that will cause the file system to completely
lose track of some free inodes if exactly the right pattern of
allocating and freeing occurs.  The chances of hitting exactly
the right pattern are very small, so it doesn't occur very
often.  However, people running B News seem to hit it quite
often for some basically inexplicable reason.

Interactive 2.2 contains some code which was intended to fix
this bug, but it is not quite correct and the bug still occurs.
I have previously posted a patch which will fix ISC 2.2 (I
don't know if it is needed for 2.2.1 or not -- perhaps someone
who has it could check and let me know).  I also have some text
files which describe the problem in great detail.  I will be
happy to send either or both to anyone who wants them or, if
there is sufficient demand, post them.

(I also have fixes for ISC 2.0.2 and Microport System V/AT if
anyone wants them!)
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones at thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
I'm not a vegetarian!  I'm a dessertarian. -- Calvin