ISC TCP/IP 1.2 hangs?

Todd Ogasawara todd at pinhead.pegasus.com
Tue Jun 18 06:19:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun06.224153.209 at pinhead.pegasus.com> todd at pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
]I'm having a problem with ISC's TCP/IP 1.2 and wanted to get some
]confirmation before I make a call to ISC and start complaining...
]
]Couple of pieces of information...
]3. My problem is that I've noticed that TCP/IP 1.2 is hanging on me
]   about once a week now. Sessions will abruptly hang. The processes
]   and session are still showing as active as reported by 'ps' and
]   'netstat'. However, there is no way to ping the ISC UNIX box from a
]   remote station. The ISC UNIX box itself appears to be running ok, except
]   for that fact that all network capabilities are lost (it can't ping a
]   remote station either).
]4. The only solution to restore TCP/IP seems to be to reboot the ISC UNIX
]   box. This can get pretty annoying if I have to do it once or twice a
]   week.

I received a number of replies (including one from a person at ISC)
confirming that this is a known problem (sigh)... A few other folks
suggested a way to get TCP/IP back without rebooting though. My TCP/IP hung
again this morning (after behaving for 10 days). Here is what I ended up
doing.

	login as root on the console
	issue an 'init 1' to bring the system down to single user mode
	request an 'init 2' from the single user menu
	go to multiuser mode using ^D
	issue an 'init 3' as root after getting back to multi user mode

Everything should be ok at this point. If you require a 'route' and don't
have it in your startup files, you will need to issue the appropriate

	route add xxx.x.x.x yyy.y.y.y 1

command.

Of course, what we really need is a fixed TCP/IP 1.3 from ISC.
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd at pinhead.pegasus.com
Telephone      ::: (808) 536-9162 ext. 7