SVR4 (i386) serial port setup

Hector Mandel mandel at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu May 9 05:46:39 AEST 1991

urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:

>>using cu, it doesn't work.  I've tried disabling the port monitor and
>>setting up the port for outbound dialing only by configuring Dialers,
>>Systems and Devices files, but it still won't work.  cu returns a message
>>saying "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".

>Do you get this message with ttymon running on this port -OR- with uugetty
>running on this port ?

Both.

>Did this exact hardware configuration work on AT&T SVR3.2.2 ?

I have not tried SVR3.2.2 on the same EXACT hardware, so I guess the answer
is no.  And I'm not about to try it right now either since I would have to
install SVR3.2.2 and reinstall all 70 + diskettes of SVR4 afterwards!!
GAAWWDD! :) :) :)

At this point, I really want to find out whether it *should* work.  Then I
can start messing with the hardware.  The UHC tech support people said that
the problem is in the OS and not in my hardware ... I need to verify whether
this is true or not.  So if someone out there has succeeded in getting
outbound (cu) to work with either Dell's or UHC's i386 SVR4, I would *really*
like to hear from them!

mandel at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu