Sigma Designs Super VGA card - any good?

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Tue May 28 22:17:09 AEST 1991

In <1991May26.024123.27877 at redsox.bsw.com> campbell at redsox.bsw.com (Larry Campbell) writes:

[question about Dell GPX vs. Sigma Designs card]

>Are these cards any good?  What does the GPX card do for $1,000 more that the
>Sigma Designs card won't?  (The sales critter was stumped on that one.)

The GPX has a TI34010 graphics coprocessor on board with 1Meg VRAM. Think
of it as a PC equivalent of the Sun GX. Basically it is intelligent, whereas
VGA cards are not so it can offload some of the work of the X server and
is faster in certain circumstances (depends on your drivers !).

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Red Dwarf