SVR4 (i386) serial port setup

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Mon May 13 22:57:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991May8.194639.28749 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mandel at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Hector Mandel) writes:
>urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:
>
>>>using cu, it doesn't work.  I've tried disabling the port monitor and
>>>setting up the port for outbound dialing only by configuring Dialers,
>>>Systems and Devices files, but it still won't work.  cu returns a message
>>>saying "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".
>
>>Do you get this message with ttymon running on this port -OR- with uugetty
>>running on this port ?
>
>Both.

I forgot to ask this question before. The modem that you're using, does it
have DTR strapped high or is it unstrapped?  If its strapped high, then I
don't know what the problem is.  However, if it's unstrapped, you might
not have the ,M in the Devices file for your "cu" port.

ie: ACU tty01,M -  1200 hayes1200

The ,M "tells" cu, ct or uucico not to worry about DTR during the \M to \m
Dialers string in the Dialers file.  I the the BNU Guide talks about this.
I don't have the guides in front of me.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban
att!garage!jbu