Changing hard disk partitions

Wes Peters wes at harem.clydeunix.com
Thu May 2 10:04:19 AEST 1991

In article <WGZAGE9 at xds13.ferranti.com>, peter at ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
> This is true, but on the other hand it gives you a relatively quiescent root
> partition. With 140 MB I'd even throw in a 5-10 MB /tmp partition and almost
> completely stop disk activity on root. This will pay in the long run, some
> day when you have disk corruption and your nice quiet root partition survives.

Helps stop system crashes on overflows.  Microport V/AT creates a tmp
filesystem that gets mounted on /tmp.  Several years ago I got tired of news
crashing my system when the spool directory overflowed (/usr: out of space)
so I bought a cheap 20m hard disk, formatted and partitioned it, and mounted
the whole thing on /usr/spool.  Never crashed again, even the few times I
ran out of space in /usr/spool.  For $180, it was worth it to not have to
rebuild /usr every 2 weeks or so.

> [...]
> Why would I see that? I can use fdisk to mark it a UNIX partition any time
> I want. Besides, if I ever come up with a need for a DOS partition I hope
> you'll put me out of my misery humanely.

DOS - the world's most widespread computer virus!  De-Operating System?

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>                               The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.                                   is much better than