Kernel core dumps (was Re: out of swap space??)

John Temples john at jwt.UUCP
Tue May 14 12:50:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991May13.204435.3138 at cbnewsc.att.com> dcon at cbnewsc.att.com (david.r.connet) writes:
>The kernel debugger for AT&T (as far as I know) is not available
>for the general public.

It's there on ISC 2.0.2; it doesn't seem to be there on ESIX.

>The debugger gives you basically the same abilities as crash, though
>in a very different syntax (I don't know crash's syntax).

What useful things can be done with the debugger?  If I've got a
program that crashes the system, can the debugger help me find the
problem?

I only played with it briefly, but it looked like the debugger could be
a security hole.  You could bring up a debugger session without being
logged on, and probably poke a 0 into the appropriate place in your
uarea...
--
John W. Temples -- john at jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)