HZ values (was: Re: u386mon dumping core)

Paul Barton-Davis pauld at stowe.cs.washington.edu
Wed May 8 04:00:13 AEST 1991

In article <9884 at suns6.crosfield.co.uk> ir at crosfield.co.uk (ian reid) writes:
>In article <1991May4.214132.27702 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>>In article <17 at metran.UUCP> jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>>>
>>>(Also, note that the current version of u386mon dumps core on ISC 2.2
>>>systems if you try to access the process screen.  On at least one system,
>>>anyway...)
>>
>>I've noticed that u386mon compiled on a 2.0.2 system will dump core
>>as described running on a 2.2 system.
>
>I had the problem of u386mon core dumping when going into the process screen.
>I tracked the problem down to a variable HZ being set to a null string in the
>environment.  It is set in /etc/default/login to HZ=100 (on ISC 2.2.1), so
>why it should have turned up as a null string I don't know.  Anyway u386mon
>uses HZ to do arithmetic, including using it as a divisor, hence the core
>dump.  If HZ is not set in the environment u386mon uses the value in
>/usr/include/sys/param.h.

Can anyone from SCO or elsewhere enlighten me as to why SCO Unix/386
usesa HZ value (both in the kernel and as the environment variable) of
60, and not 100 ? Or has this been changed ... or can it be ?

--
Paul Barton-Davis <pauld at cs.washington.edu> UW Computer Science Lab

"People cannot cooperate towards common goals if they are forced to
 compete with each other in order to guarantee their own survival."