FATAL: Parity error on add-on card. What does it mean ? (ISC 2.2)

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Sun May 26 06:26:01 AEST 1991

In article <1991May24.170934.13027 at mprgate.mpr.ca> breckenr at mpr.ca (Dennis Breckenridge) writes:
>In article <818 at isbank.is> stb at isbank.is (Steintor Bjarnason) writes:

>>Also when I have used shutdown to stop ISC then it has crashed with a :
>>   PANIC: Kernel mode trap.  Type 0x0000000E

>ISC panic 0000000E is a catch all panic, if the machine does not
>know why it panic'ed it falls into a routine that dumps it.

Nonsense! Type E is not a 'catch all', it is a very specific panic, it
is a kernel mode page fault and it isn't ISC specific, the hardware
generates the type of the trap when it occurs and as ANY vendor's kernel
that I am aware of for the i386 are non-pageable this fault should never
happen when running in kernel mode, and thus you will always panic. The
most common reason that I have seen for this panic to occur is flakey
hardware causing intermittent data corruption.

Disclaimer: Opinions are my own, not necessarily my employer's.

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM