SCO Unix sendmail initialization problem

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Sun May 26 01:40:35 AEST 1991

If I reboot my SCO Unix system, incoming SMTP mail gets put into the
queue (deferred, I think due to a host-name lookup failure) and not
ever unqueued.  If I kill the sendmail daemon and restart it, the
queue gets emptied out properly to the appropriate users' mailboxes.

Apparently sendmail is getting started before some other task on which
it depends, but I haven't a clue as to how to solve this problem.  For
now, I've been manually restarting the daemon after the boot sequence
completes.

SCO ships the system with mmdf, and there may be an interaction problem
with the mmdfdeliver daemon which is always there sitting in the
background.  I'd just as soon dump mmdf entirely, though SCO's
documentation implies that mmdf is superior and one should dump
sendmail instead.  If mmdf is superior, then my first question is "How
can I make it communicate with remote sendmail daemons?" and my second
is "Why doesn't mmdf handle domain name service?"

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to set up e-mail on a TCP/IP-
based LAN containing SCO Unix systems mixed with others (AIX, NCR, and
so on), using a sendmail daemon on a non-SCO system to relay mail to
the Internet via UUCP.  (I've got my domain name server set up to
recognize systems on a domain called "kronos.com", and I've got SCO
sendmail configured to relay all mail addressed to external domains
to a given system on the LAN that knows how to pass it along to
the world-wide Internet.)

-rich