Kernel core dumps (was Re: out of swap space??)

j chapman flack chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us
Wed May 22 15:48:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991May14.155746.19084 at mccc.edu> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>=Then again, you can use /etc/_fst, which is a copy of adb that's used
>
>???  Not present in AT&T SV R3.2.2.

I'm fairly certain it's a SCOism.  It is, quite simply, adb.  They provide it
so they have the option of annoucing patches to binaries and you can apply
them, but they put it in the /etc directory under a weird name so you won't
find it and do anything useful with it without paying for the development
system.  There is no documentation for it.  I just happened to see a patch
described in the printed release notes that involved using some program named
/etc/_fst that took a command syntax that reminded me very much of adb...

The non-development system also includes as, ld, and cpp, all tucked away in
strange places that wouldn't be in your path.  And that's just what I've
found so far.

I'd really like to know *how* they arrived at the name _fst though.  I
suppose this_is_not_adb wouldn't fit in 14 characters.  ;-)
--
Chap Flack                         Their tanks will rust.  Our songs will last.
chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us                                    -MIKHS 0EODWPAKHS

Nothing I say represents Appropriate Roles for Technology unless I say it does.