Opinions wanted on best UNIX for networking

Bill Kennedy bill at wrangler.WLK.COM
Wed May 29 06:50:40 AEST 1991

rbraun at spdcc.COM (Rich Braun) writes:
> (Paul S Secinaro) writes:
>> [ Paul is looking for a network solution ... ]

[ Rich is using it with an IBM ... ]
>is an IBM RS/6000; I haven't yet hooked up an AT&T 3B2 or an NCR Tower,
>because the respective vendors have rather uncompetitive TCP/IP offerings.

I have it running with an AT&T 3B2 and an NCR Tower (this machine, wrangler
is the Tower) and I do agree with him about pricing.  I bought TCP+ from
Sea Change Corporation in Canada and it was a turnkey hardware/software
solution.  It wasn't inexpensive but when you see how much is packed onto
the multibus ethernet card you realize you're buying a lot of computing for
a couple of grand.  TCP+ also now ships with bwnfsd the daemon to run with
B&W NFS.  I haven't tried B&W but I'm told it works well.  I wouldn't
recommend AT&T TCP/IP or NFS for the 3B2 because of the Wollongong stuff
that doesn't coexist well with a Lachman (Interactive) NFS.  It's also
frightfully expensive if you're spending your own money.

I ended up with ssbn ('386 ISC 2.2) as the server and it runs both NFS and
RFS, NCR RFS will only cooperate with Towers so I have to use NFS for it,
the other machines all run RFS quite nicely.

[ lots of other useful information, I was just commenting on 3B2 and
  Tower stuff ... ]
--
Bill Kennedy  uucp      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM   or ssbn!bill at attmail.COM