SCO License security - another flame

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.rn.com
Sun May 5 23:23:04 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

>>X11R4,

>Mayhap.  But SCO didn't do the port of X, Locus did, and people at sco were
>very unhappy with them. (At least some of the engineers were.)

hmm.. that's a good reason why not to ship a product (the engineers at
SCO were pissed off with Locus)..

>>Motif 1.1,

>As far as I know, it wasn't out at the time.  Or don't you realize that it's
>somewhat difficult to release something that doesn't exist?

Motif 1.1 has been available for some time, and it corrects some serious
bugs in previous releases

>>the BSD FFS,

>Why?  The BSD FFS would have been a terrible bitch to port.  It was easier
>to make their own FFS, and later add in long filenames.  (When they release
>3.2v3, I think I shall post a patch showing how to make the filename limit
>go from 255 to 266 8-).)

Yes - SCO once again going off and doing their own thing without any
consideration for standards - and the way non-SCO applications will
run..

>>System Vr4.0,

>A piece of crap.  Buggy as hell, larger than 3.2, slow, ugly.

and 3.2 wasn't buggy when SCO first got their hands on it?  Likewise Xenix -
I remember the first couple of Xenix releases :)

It's a new product with lots of features and enhancements - and regardless
if SCO likes it or not, it will soon be the industry standard.  All of us
know that - and sooner or later SCO will need to jump on the SVR4 bandwagon

>Why don't you try actually seeing what is released instead of being an
>asshole and complaining?

everyone is an asshole since you left sco

the sco sales rep calls me on a regular basis checking up on "what
unix have we decided to OEM" and telling me over and over that SCO is the
industry leader.  I asked her if she was including Xenix licenses
in her "We have more UNIX licenses out there than all the other
vendors combined" line - and she said she didn't know (at least
she was honest) --

SCO has a refined product - with good documentation - but I don't
like their marketing approach (like car salesmen).  Their original
quote wanted 10K plus 3.5K per year just for the rights to OEM
UNIX (this 10K gave us the installation tools to load UNIX - and
didn't include any copies of UNIX).  On her next call she asked
what I thought - and I told her.  The following week, she told
me that we didn't need the "Mass Installation Tools".

I like Interactives 3.2 the best of all the UNIX products - and
Dell for SVR4.  Dell will ship hardware with UNIX installed which
is a timesaver - but the margins are quite slim (on the hardware -
software margins are slim as well, but the product is very reasonably
priced)..

We shall see - the evualation process continues..

--
      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis