ISC 2.2.1 + Fujitsu 1.2Gb drive + AHA 1740 EISA SCSI

Pim Zandbergen pim at cti-software.nl
Thu May 2 03:34:56 AEST 1991

cm at jet.uucp (colin manning) writes:

>I've just got a Intel 403e (33Mhz 486) with 16Mb RAM, 1740 EISA SCSI
>and a Fujitsu 1.2Gb SCSI drive (model 2266sa I believe).

I've just got a Intel 403e (33Mhz 486) with 8Mb RAM, 1740 EISA SCSI
and a HP 680Mb SCSI drive (model 97548su I believe).

>Q1:
>Machine seems to work fine, but for the following *very* serious problem.

>If I do something that is very disk intensive, I can get the SCSI
>bus/drive/controller hung, and all I can do is reboot.

I do not have this problem.

>System also has a Wangtek 150Mb SCSI tape streamer, which is
>not in use when the problem occurs.

I do have a problem that Colin obviously has not.
If I have a SCSI tape unit on the SCSI bus AND
the SCSI tape driver is configured, the kernel
will panic while booting.

I have tried Archive VIPER 2150s and 2060s
and WangDAT drives, without any difference.

These tape units are recognized by and can be
erased by Roy Neese's utilities.

According to our Intel representative, this is a known
problem and ISC should have a fix. Nor Intel, nor
our ISC dealer could acknowledge whether this is the SSU.7
fix that I am awaiting. If it is, I'll let the net know.

Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim at cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim
Laan Copes van Cattenburch 70           phone  : +31 70 3542302
2585 GD The Hague, The Netherlands      fax    : +31 70 3512837