AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 - SCSI Complaints

david.r.connet dcon at cbnewsc.att.com
Tue May 14 03:33:21 AEST 1991

In article <767u21w164w at gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm at gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>> brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>> You can fix this several ways.
>>
>> 	1. use a binary editor to replace the AT&T strings on the boot
>> 	   disketttes so that it recognizes your devices.
>>
>> 	2. Get the system loaded on a supported device and then change the
>> 	   SCSI id tables in /etc/conf/pack.d/{scsi driver directories}.  There
>> 	   are two directories (one for tapes and one for disks).
>>
>        As the original poster of this wonderful mess, is this modification
>easy?<Don't laugh too hard>  I'm a new system administrator, and sort
>of know what I'm doing, enough to be dangerous I guess.

Quite easy.  For #2, edit /etc/conf/pack.d/scsi/space.c and then idbuild
and reboot.  Also edit /etc/scsi/tc.index (used for mkfs, and other commands).
What I do is to copy an entry for a similar device (someone tells me what
is similar).  Beware, in the tc.index file, there are trailing blanks.
These are critical.

Dave Connet
dcon at iwtng.att.com