Using MS-DOS with the UNIX* system ?

Dave Remien dave at pmafire.inel.gov
Wed May 1 12:33:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr30.171445.22045 at nusdecs.uucp> rwhite at nusdecs.uucp (Robert White) writes:
>In article <rcbarn.672944319 at rw6.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn at urc.tue.nl writes:
>>I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>>'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
>>presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>>politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>>a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>>expensive, but actually the same) product.
>
>Actually there is no separate and more expensive WP for use in a network
>environment.  The same package is used but the netsetup program is then
>run after a normal installation.  The wordperfect problem under VP/ix
>seems to stem from the tendency of WP to do marginally illegal things
>to it's own files.

WP isn't the only offender in this behavior; we've had Symantec's Q&A
mutter about being on a networked drive (under DOSMerge in the UNIX file
system) just before annihilating whatever it is that's being worked on.
Works OK on a DOS partition, also; same as WP.

DOSMerge includes a command to switch the UNIX file system from
appearing as a network drive to a local drive, but that didn't help.

--
Dave Remien +*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ WINCO Computer Engineering Group
  dave at pmafire.inel.gov or rzd at inel.gov      "Dave Barry for President"