ISC 2.02 questions

Andrzej Udalski udalski at astro.princeton.edu
Tue May 28 06:43:21 AEST 1991

[ I am posting this message for my friend who does not have access to
the Usenet. Please answer to him directly by e-mail:
FOK11 at PLEARN.BITNET ]

I have a 386/33 machine running ISC 2.02 Unix. It is in a small LAN
consisting of  a SUN Sparc1+ and PCs.  I am a novice in 386 Unix
world so please forgive if my problems are trivial.

1. 386 sees Sun disk through NFS. Unfortunately, when I attempt to
change directory on the NFS disk, try to write a file and
especially I use vp-ix on that disk, the command hangs and on Sun
console the following message appears:

rfs_read: attempt to read from non-file

many, many times.  This happens on a deeper level than the mounting
point of the NFS-disk.  From the opposite side, everything works fine
and Sun sees 386 disk without any problems.

2.  The 'batch' and 'at' commands don't work from the console and
virtual terminals.  When fail they return the message: Sh: Bad ulimit.
However they do work when one is logged on either through rlogin or
telnet (?!!!)

3. I can't configure 'rsh' and 'rexec' services properly. Although inetd
is running, rshd + rexecd are uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf,
hosts.equiv contains all necessary info, rsh form Sun (or PC) returns
without any action; rexec gives the following output:
Byte != 0 [1]
we're goin in ...
Login incorrect (though userid and password are correct for sure).

Thank you in advance for any help. As we don't have access to the News
please answer by e-mail.

Michal Szymanski

Warsaw University Observatory
Al.Ujazdowskie 4