cu/ecu through TCP/IP (plus ecu porting status)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri May 17 01:44:18 AEST 1991

In article <1060 at aega84.UUCP> lh at aega84.UUCP (L. Hirschbiegel) writes:

>I'm running ecu on a less recent unix generation :-) ISC 2.2 and I am perfectly
>able to connect over TCP/RFS to our RFS server and use the serial modem ports
>there from the remote machine. So if there is RFS available for RS6000 (is it?)
>this should work.

You should note that this depends on the structs used by ioctl() being
identical on the client and server machines, which is pretty unlikely
among different CPU types, especially if one of them happens to be
an Intel and the other isn't.  Also, things like lockfiles for the ports
will be done wrong, although HDB uucp seems to use kernel locks on the
device itself, which does work over RFS (so you should probably modify
ecu to do that also if it doesn't already).

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us