Buying UNIX for a clone

Hideya Pochi Yoshida Pochi at cup.portal.com
Mon May 6 03:37:52 AEST 1991

I'm a just UNIX beginner planning to set up a SVR4 on any 486ISA
machine.

And on 4/29/91, dave at pmafire.inel.gov (Dave Remien) writes:

|I'm running a '486-25 OPTI chipset MB, 16MB RAM, Adaptec 1540 + Maxtor
|8760S + Seagate 41200N + Archive SCSI, Dell GPX + VGA daughterboard, and
|WD8013. [deleted]
|I did talk to Dell before going with this configuration; they told me
|pretty much what was and was not supported; that's why I'm running with
|what I have.

Thank you for your informations about Dell's SVR4. The product seems
very attractive to me, since it includes GNU Emacs, news systems, and
other useful goods, as well as development tool kits.

1) Does anyone know whether Dell's SVR4 can run on a Gateway 2000 486/33
   Cache with the following configuration or not ?

  Gateway 486/33[*] + Adaptec 1540x + Wangtek or Archive QIC-150 SCSI
  tape drive

    [*] Feature of Gateway 486/33:
           i486/33 ISA (Phoenix BIOS) + 8MB RAM + 64k read/write back cache
           Western Digital 200MB IDE HDD w/ 64K multi segmented cache
           5 1/4" + 3.5" FDD (EPSON)
           Diamond SpeedStar SVGA adapter w/ 1MB (using Tseng's chip)
           1 parallel / 2 serial ports

2) Which is the most appropreate SCSI adapter of Adaptec 1540x's ?

3) Can additional SCSI HDD drives be used with the IDE drive ?

Thanks in advance.

Hideya Yoshida               | hyoshida at ddbj.nig.ac.jp (Internet)
Res. Inst. for Bioresources, | yoshida at chino.it.okayama-u.ac.jp
Okayama University, JAPAN    | pochi at cup.portal.com
FAX:+81-864-21-0699          | 72071,326 (CompuServe)