Kernel core dumps (was Re: out of swap space??)

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Tue May 14 02:29:09 AEST 1991

In article <9105122137.aa00923 at art-sy.detroit.mi.us> chap at art-sy.detroit.mi.us (j chapman flack) writes:
[ wants a way to force a system panic...]

>One person suggested using the kernel debugger; several suggested using
>`crash' to look at the running system.  I don't have a development system
>and I haven't found anything lying around that looks like a kernel debugger,
>so I doubt that linking that in is an option for me.

You don't need the development system, and the "debugger" is not some binary
that you would find "lying around". It should be an option in linking your
kernel. I don't know how far SCO varies from the AT&T standard, but if
you run 'kconfig' (or whatever SCO calls the kernel configurer program)
there should be an option to add facilities to the kernel, when you enter
that submenu one of the facilites you can add is the debugger. Then rebuild
a kernel and presto you have the debugger, you can drop into it at any
particular point by hitting <CTRL> <ALT> d, then enter the command:
sysdump. If SCO doesn't include this facility you should scream loudly :-}.

>Is there some undocumented way to
>modify things with `crash'?

NO. You could use adb on the running system but then 3.2 doesn't have
adb, oh well...

Disclaimer: I'm paid to fix bugs, not to speak for the company!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM