Remote Printing Over SCO TCP/IP?

trevor at trevan.uucp trevor at trevan.uucp
Tue May 21 15:50:49 AEST 1991

paulz at sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) writes:

>In article <1991May19.204503.1754 at rfengr.com> rfarris at rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:
>}I'm trying to figure out how to automatically print on a
>}printer attached to another host.
>}

>[details deleted]

>}
>}--
>}Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
>}rfarris at rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

>The following article from the SCO Information Tools database should help
>with your problem.   I'm posting because I think this may be of general
>interest.

>################## cut here ################ cut here ##################

>How do I set up remote printing with SCO TCP/IP?

>KEYWORDS: printer remote lpinit mkdev rcmd

>RELEASE:  SCO TCP/IP Generic

>PROBLEM:  How do I set up remote printing with SCO TCP/IP.

>SOLUTION: The following steps outline how to set up remote printing
>	  with SCO TCP/IP.
>

>		Device name  <enter "/dev/null">

Dont do this on ODT 1.0. We reported a bug with this method some time ago.
the line printer scheduler send a sighup to processes associated with
/dev/null when it finishes printing (I thing this is a security feature!).
This will kill some of those processes. The work around is to make a special
null file ie

	mknod /dev/lpnull c 4 255

This problem was reported to SCO some months ago so I would like to know
if it has been fixed in 1.1.
--
				regards trevor
Trevor Harris				UUCP: trevor at trevan.uucp