SCO License security - another flame

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Wed May 8 12:23:25 AEST 1991

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
> In article <91V712w164w at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Mar
> >X11R4,
>
> Mayhap.  But SCO didn't do the port of X, Locus did, and people at sco were
> very unhappy with them. (At least some of the engineers were.)

Glad to hear that SCO was unhappy.  But do I have X11R4 yet?

> >Motif 1.1,
>
> As far as I know, it wasn't out at the time.  Or don't you realize that it's
> somewhat difficult to release something that doesn't exist?

It wasn't out when ODT 1.1 was released?  Gee, I could have sworn...

But, I forgot, Motif 1.1 requires X11R4, so I guess they would have to
port that first.

> Why?  The BSD FFS would have been a terrible bitch to port.  It was easier

Must have been really hard, seeing as how Everex did it for ESIX (and
Everex sells ESIX for a lot less than an ODT system).

> >symbolic links,
>
> What makes you think they *didn't*?

Then where are they?  Why doesn't "ln -s" work?

> Gee.  I've never had any problems with their uucp, and I used it quite
> extensively for over two years.

Try naming your site something with eight characters, and compare the
ways HDB and SCO handle it.

> >and commands like su(1) and cron(1) that work the way I expect them to.
>
> Yeah.  You're right.  They never did anything about this.  And that SLS
> (available from sco [maybe uunet, too, I don't know]) which is corrects the
> C2 problems (they only way I notice the c2 stuff anymore is because
> passwords aren't in /etc/passwd; however, this can be a good thing)
> therefore doesn't exist.

They did do something about it; it just wasn't enough.  I still can't
log in as root, kill cron, and then restart it.  The newuser program I
was using for the BBS (it lets a user enter some info about them, and
then creates an account) had to be heavily rewritten for SCO's
security.  SCO doesn't even deign to document most of it.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"