Opinions? IDE vs. ESDI for a V.4 486

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun May 26 08:12:14 AEST 1991

davis at csrg2.ee.iastate.edu (Jim Davis) writes:

> I am in need of some informed opinions....I am going to purchase a 486/25
> to replace my 386 UNIX PC.  I am somewhat limited in what I can choose for
> 1)  What do you think about a 200Mb IDE disk verses a 330Mb ESDI drive?  The
>     difference in speed is not important to me, and the extra storage would b
>     nice, but are there any "other" reasons to spend the extra money on the
>     ESDI drive (like reliability)?

I am running a 330 MB ESDI on my ISC 2.2 and want to add a 200 MB IDE,
but my tests have shown that this particular ESDI is twice as fast as
this particular ESDI. I don't want to have the system on the IDE as
I think it would materially affect the performance of the system but
using the IDE for storging just data (it's holding the USENET feed right
now) would be OK.

So I really question your saying that "speed is not important". If not,
then why are you moving to a 486/25?

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.