AT&T sys V R 4. and 1542B

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon May 27 02:58:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991May25.132814.4876 at mccc.edu> pjh at mccc.edu (Pete Holsberg) writes:

>From AT&T, you mean?  I *am* getting AT&T support for AT&T UNIX running
>on an AT&T 386 which has a WangDAT, a Consensys HD controller and a
>couple of Equinox multiports.  But I'm about to purchase another system
>with a clone as a file server and AT&T has not yet said that they would
>not support it.  The account rep said she'd like not to lose the sale of
>a server, though.

My experience is that when you call AT&T support, you need the serial
number from one of their boxes.  As long as you know the quirks of
your AT&T box and the clone and don't ask about things that are
different you should be able to wing it.

>But actually, I agree with you.  I would have liked to avoid buying this
>new LAN from AT&T but no one locally is willing to do a TCP/IP
>installation for me and no one has come up with a suggestion on an MSDOS
>mail program a la Word Perfect Office for the MSDOS clients (they're the
>only clients on a proposed UNIX server), so it looks like I'm going win
>LM/X and AT&T!  :-(

That should run on top of TCP/IP if you want, but the only advantage would
be to connect to other machines running TCP/IP.  If you've already got
a starlan net, the LM/X should drop right in and you should be able to
put in 10base-T for the new stuff and bridge it to the old 1M starlan if
you want to keep any of it.  I'm not sure if it's worth changing the
cards in a slow PC - they probably can't load even the 1M net.  PMX-Starmail
isn't bad as a DOS mail interface if you toss the "enhanced" unix mail
transport that comes with it and replace it with something like smail3
(it needs to handle binary attachments).  If mail under DOS is important,
you can also set up dial-up connections that look just like the lan
stations but you need a different set of products (Access Plus and
pmxpc).  It's possible to run Access Plus over starlan using the naucom
driver if you only want to have one package, but the driver takes some
additional memory.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us