UPS for SCO Box

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Tue May 21 03:30:08 AEST 1991

dennis at ultima.socs.uts.edu.au (Dennis Cook) writes:
> Has anyone had any experience(s) with Uninterruptible
> Power Supplies on machines running SCO System V Unix?

Hmmm...is there some particular reason you're concerned about SCO Sys V?
(Is the power requirement for SCO different from AT&T, Esix, ISC, Dell?:-)
I think of UPS concerns as being mostly hardware issues; we'd benefit from
broadening the discussion.

Seriously...we've been 'round the UPS discussion a time or two, but only
lightly; it wouldn't hurt to run it again with updates.  (I think we left a
question about Unison hanging; that ought to be cleared up now.)  One of
the things you need to talk about is what sort of hardware you're trying to
supply--one little machine, a big one, a flock of 'em?

If you really have SCO-specific questions, what are they?

> 2) How do I get the U.P.S. to tell the machine that
>    it is running on "borrowed time" and to do a shutdown?

UPSes which are set up to do this generally talk down a serial port...so
you need a spare serial port and a little program to kick off the shut-
down.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...If you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind.