ISC multiuser license allows only 1-2 users

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri May 24 22:17:35 AEST 1991

gheim at eng.auburn.edu (Greg Heim) writes:

> In article <1991May23.031022.10108 at crom2.uucp> jim at crom2.uucp (James P. H. Fu
> >asv at gaboon.UUCP (Stan Voket) writes:
[* other stuff deleted *]
> >     A solution mentioned here fairly recently was based on the notion that
> >(according to the poster) nothing in ISC unix checks the number of users exc
> >/bin/login.  The solution was to use one of the non-ISC login programs float
> >around.  (I believe this was mentioned in the context of getting rid of the
> >ads and copyright notices that disfigure my and probably your screen at boot
> >A different login was suggested as a fix for that also.)

I was trying to get rid of the copyright notices and other rubbish
some time ago and a lot of people chipped in and helped me find out
how the signon was being generated for ISC 2.2. Here's a summary of
what I found out at the time:

1. /etc/issue     | Welcome to the INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation
                           INTERNACTIVE UNIX Operating System

2. /etc/getty     | System name: aegis

3. /etc/gettydefs | Login:

4. /bin/login     | Password:

5. /bin/login     | UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2
                  | aegis
                  | Copyright (C) 1984, 1986, 1987, 1988 AT&T
                  | Copyright (C) 1987, 1988 Microsoft Corp.
                  | All Rights Reserved.
                  | Login last used: Mon Mar 25 18:47:57 1991

6. /etc/profile   | /                : Disk space....
   /etc/profile   | /usr             : Disk space....
   /etc/profile   | /user2           : Disk space....
   /etc/profile   |
   /etc/profile   | Total Disk Space....

------------------------------

To change, you can do the following:

1. Edit /etc/issue to change the opening lines

2. Binary edit /etc/getty. But there are limits to what you can do.
   I used "strings -o getty" to locate the address of "System name"
   and found two strings one after the other: "System name:<0>%s<0>".
   I used SYMDEB.EXE under VP/ix to make the modificationds (binary 0
   in the first byte of each string to kill it) and wrote the
   changes to getty.aegis and then used that for the dialup lines
   in /etc/conf/init.d/asy. But I didn't get the results I thought
   I would get! Instead of no "System name: aegis" I got "aegis"
   and then it was waiting for me to login but with no prompt.

   So while you can kill "System name:" by putting a <0> in the
   first byte, the actual name of the system is coming from someplace
   else in the code and the "%s" is used for the login promt coming
   out of the /etc/gettydefs file.

   Oh well, I guess I don't mind the "System name: aegis" so much....

3. Edit whatever entry /etc/gettydefs is relevant, depending
   on the /etc/inittab.

   I have edited mine to show which entry in the cycle is being
   used for testing how my modem setup works (19200-Login,
   9600-Login ... 300-Login)

4-5. Binary edit /bin/login. I used "strings -o login" to locate the
   address and then used SYMDEB.EXE under VP/ix to make the
   modification I wanted. I left Password alone and stuck binary 0
   in the as the first byte in the copyright message to kill it.

6. Edit /etc/profile as you wish

My resulting signon was:

  Aegis Society UNIX Operating System

  System name: aegis

  9600-Login:
  password:

------------------------------

Another solution is to replace getty with something else which I
did later (getty 2.0 by Paul Sutcliff, pual at devon.lns.pa.us) which
allows you init the modem, read the CONNECT and put all kinds of
neat stuff out for a signon. Right now mine looks like:

  Aegis - 05/24/91 20:19:16 - ttyF04 9600 BPS - 4 user(s) online

  login:

Unfortunately getty 2.0 doesn't let cu/uucp dialout on the same
line when you have already init'ed the modem so I still use the
original getty for that.

Hope that helps,

Dave

--
Dave McLane <davidg%aegis.or.jp> JUNET
            <davidg%aegis.or.kyoto-u.ac.jp> INTERNET

Minami Hirao 1-6, Imazato                 The content and process of
Nagaokakyo-shi, Kyoto-fu, 617 Japan           international/cultural
Tel: +81-75-951-1168 Fax: +81-75-957-1087             communication.