Using MS-DOS with the UNIX* system ?

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Wed May 8 02:13:26 AEST 1991

In article <1991May05.210547.4613 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>In article <1991May01.141751.2332 at bluemoon.uucp> grant at bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:
>> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
>>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
>>to have several people legally using it at once.
>
>Since I brought the issue up this time around, I'll explain a bit more.
>We have an AT&T starlan network with around 100 PC's connected to a
>few unix machines acting as fileservers.  I use a 386 machine under unix for
>development that can RFS mount the directories available in the production
>servers.  If VP/ix worked correctly, I could run WP on my own machine
>to test setups and help users with problems without needing a second
>machine in my office to run DOS.  As it turns out, I do need the
>second machine.

I talked(mail'ed actually) to Les and he tells me that he has:
	UNIX System V/386 Release 3.2.1  and
	Simul-Task 386 Version 2.0

The current version of Smul-Task is Version 3.01.  ALOT of networking problems
have been fixed since 2.0.  Somethings that work under 3.01 that did not work
in 2.0 are:
	Simul-Task over telnet, rlogin and script

Also Simul-Task over NFS and RFS has become also more robust.

[ Deleted stuff ]

>I wasn't slamming WP at all (though I have encountered some other problems
>with it...).  In this case the problem is with VP/ix aka AT&T's Simultask.
>The Locus DOS Merge product doesn't appear to have the same trouble.

[ Deleted stuff ]

Sincerely,

John Urban