SCSI adapters for UNIX

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun May 19 11:17:50 AEST 1991

jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

>I am in the process of deciding between Adaptec and Future Domain for
>the SCSI controller in a client's ISC 2.2 system.  I have an Adaptec
>1542b in my own, but am unimpressed with Adaptec's technical support.

As far as SCSI controllers are concerned, ISCs drivers take full advantage
of the bus mastering capabilities of the adaptec.  Therefore in a system
with heavy cpu load it will run circles around the Future Domain.

I haven't had to use technical support for any of the three, so I can't
comment on that.

>Also, there was mention once or twice in this group of an "Adaptec clone"
>that was a lot less expensive, and maybe even better supported.  I'm afraid
>I missed the details; can someone bring me up to date on that?

Bustec is and Adaptec clone manufacturer and thier boards are pretty
good.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170