AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 - SCSI Complaints

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sun May 12 04:04:01 AEST 1991

brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:

>Well at a site I do some consulting for, we were really pissed at this
>also. It seems that AT&T looks for the SCSI ident string on the drive, and
>that is how it determines whether or not it is a supported device. This also
>includes all SCSI tape drives too.  As for the fix, you might as well forget
>it. It was obviously hardcoded so f**king AT&T could sell more of their own

You can fix this several ways.

	1. use a binary editor to replace the AT&T strings on the boot
	   disketttes so that it recognizes your devices.

	2. Get the system loaded on a supported device and then change the
	   SCSI id tables in /etc/conf/pack.d/{scsi driver directories}.  There
	   are two directories (one for tapes and one for disks).

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170