Kernel core dumps (was Re: out of swap space??)

Marc Wiz marc at ekhomeni.austin.ibm.com
Fri May 17 04:34:36 AEST 1991

> >If you wanted to look around in another process' address space you were
> >in for an interesting time.  The debugger didn't have that capability.
> >

> With AT&Ts debugger, you can basically do anything you want to the system.
> The only security you have is physical, i/o is done with the console.

Yes that is true.  But the 386 kernel debugger did not allow references
to another process.  You had to determine where in physical memory the
data was and then give that physical address to the debugger.

It would have been nice to be able to supply an extra parameter to the
debugger to specify which process you wanted to look at.

IMHO the kernel debugger should have had a few more commands to make it
useful.

Before I forget the debugger that I am discussing is the postfix debugger.

Marc Wiz 				MaBell (512)823-4780

Yes that really is my last name.
The views expressed are my own.

marc at aixwiz.austin.ibm.com
or
uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmchs!auschs!ekhomeni.austin.ibm.com!marc