UPS

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Wed May 22 18:51:26 AEST 1991

In <1991May21.070537.15809 at rfengr.com> rfarris at rfengr.com (Rick Farris) writes:

>Ok, here's my question for the UPS FAQ:

>I want to have an hour's worth of UPS capacity.  If the
>power goes down, I don't want anything to happen for 45
>minutes, then, IF THE POWER HASN'T COME BACK ON, I want to
>start shutting down.  If the power has come back on, I want
>it to be transparent to the computer.

>Do any commercial UPS hardware/software packages support
>this mode?

Well, the SmartUPS600 from APC does pretty much what you want. I got
about 25 minutes on a maximally configured '386 system with 16"
monitor. It warns users every n (configurable) minutes that the machine
is on emergency power and when the UPS reaches very low battery, it
initiates a shutdown. If power is restored before that point, it
carries on.

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Red Dwarf