Using MS-DOS with the UNIX* system ?

Paul S Secinaro pss610 at unhd.unh.edu
Mon May 6 06:03:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991May01.141751.2332 at bluemoon.uucp> grant at bluemoon.uucp (Grant DeLorean) writes:

> Someone has to ask...
>
> Why not just get the the UNIX version of WP and be done with it? No problems,
>no hassles and actually less cost than having enough DOS version licenses
>to have several people legally using it at once. It is also less strain
>on system resources since there isn't the VP/ix overhead to deal with. I
>don't get why so many people are anxious to slam WP, the company provides
>good support free of charge (at least the UNIX division) and a product
>that does what it is supposed to do and does it well. I won't even go
>into the fact that the folks complaining probably bought one DOS license
>and are complaining about it not supporting 10 users at once over a
>network...

What's the latest version of WP for UNIX?  I've seen reviews of 5.0 for UNIX at
a time when 5.1 for DOS was out for quite a while (this was a some months ago).
IMHO, 5.1 is *much* better than 5.0.  Even minimal mouse support makes a big
difference, and technical users will find the equation editor invaluable.  I
would have trouble switching back to 5.0 after using 5.1.  This might be one
reason why WP users are reluctant to switch.  If there is a newer version out,
then I'd have to agree with your message.  VP/ix is something of a CPU hog (at
least the ancient version I'm using is).  I use it only when necessary,
and if I have to do a lot of work with a DOS app, I usually just reboot from
the DOS partition (my system is single user, so I have that luxury).

--

Paul S. Secinaro
University of New Hampsire
pss610 at unhd.unh.edu