cu/ecu through TCP/IP (plus ecu porting status)

L. Hirschbiegel lh at aega84.UUCP
Thu May 16 20:12:05 AEST 1991

In article <409 at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:

>>There's a really great program called 'ecu' which looks something like
>>Procomm, but it runs on System V and is free.  I'd love to be able to
>>run this program and have it automagically connect to a modem on the
>>RS/6000 via TCP/IP.
>
>Thank you for the compliments on ecu.  However, it insists on
>talking to a tty driver directly.  The driver must reside on the
>same system as the port unless you have an, er, ahm, more recent
>generation of UNIX than I do.

I'm running ecu on a less recent unix generation :-) ISC 2.2 and I am perfectly
able to connect over TCP/RFS to our RFS server and use the serial modem ports
there from the remote machine. So if there is RFS available for RS6000 (is it?)
this should work.

>The new version appears ready to work on ISC very soon.  This
>means more than you may think, because though both SCO and ISC

Hey, don't bash your own product :-) !
Since V2.x I'm using it under ISC and besides some hacking in the keyboard
routines and smaller changes it was not too complicated to port.
Keep on improving ecu - IMHO it's still the best communiciation prog !