Buying UNIX for a clone

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Tue May 7 12:11:27 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr30.172955.11199 at nstar.rn.com> larry at nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
[discussion of Support costs deleted]

}
}that's cheap - both ISC and SCO are well above $1200
}
}>That doesn't sound too bad, though, for companies.  Does the $500 per
}>year include free patches (as required to fix problems) and unlimited
}>telephone support?
}
}yes - with Dell, but no on the others - which limit you to X number
}of calls

I can't speak for ISC, of course, but this information is incorrect
for SCO Support.

1) SCO Support offers a variety of support packages, the cheapest of
which costs about $100/yr.   $1200/yr sounds about right for our
highest level of support (1 hour turnaround, guaranteed escalation to
Engineering, etc.).  Most people - certainly all owners of home
machines - don't need this level of support, which was designed for
VARs and large resellers.  I believe our "standard" support package
costs about $500/yr.  (Don't quote me on this - I've never even seen
a price list!)

2) All SCO Support packages are "unlimited calls" - you can call in
as many times as you like for as many problems as you have with your
particular supported product.

}
}--
}      Larry Snyder, NSTAR Public Access Unix 219-289-0287/317-251-7391
}                         HST/PEP/V.32/v.32bis/v.42bis
}                        regional UUCP mapping coordinator
}               {larry at nstar.rn.com, ..!uunet!nstar.rn.com!larry}

By all means, examine every '386 *NIX vendor.  Just be sure to make
your decision based on accurate information about costs and services.

-
Paul Zola			Support Technical Lead, Operating System
				paulz at sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.