Using MS-DOS with the UNIX* system ?

Robert White rwhite at nusdecs.uucp
Wed May 1 03:14:45 AEST 1991

In article <rcbarn.672944319 at rw6.urc.tue.nl> rcbarn at urc.tue.nl writes:
>I think VP/ix is not to blame for this. WP however distinguishes between
>'real' drives and 'networked' devices; it won't work properly with the latter,
>presumably just because this enables WP Corp. (why do I address those people
>politely while they cripple people's minds with their trashware) to sell
>a version capable of running in a network as a separately priced (read: more
>expensive, but actually the same) product.

Actually there is no separate and more expensive WP for use in a network
environment.  The same package is used but the netsetup program is then
run after a normal installation.  The wordperfect problem under VP/ix
seems to stem from the tendency of WP to do marginally illegal things
to it's own files.

To demonstrate the activity, run fastopen and then edit a few of
your least favorite files...  There wont be much left.

the problems seem to stem from going through the FAT directly, which
dosn't really work under VP/ix unless you are using a real(tm) MSDOS
partition.  (e.g. not even the single-file virtual drives.)

I don't know what network feature WP is looking for on a real(tm)
network that it dosn't find on a VP/ix "network" drive, but I
would suspect it has something to do with resource names or something.
Sympotms indicate something like that to me because of the garbage
preceeding each printed output request.  Maybe the netbios name
calls are beign used and the lack of such names is confusing the
program.  If not where do all the ^@^@^@s come from?

Rob.