wanted: UNIX or clone

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Wed May 1 09:06:33 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.204310.22760 at agate.berkeley.edu> ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) writes:

>Someone mentioned in a previous posting that commercial software is
>unimportant for most Esix users.  IMHO, this is only the case because
>interesting software is either expensive or unavailable.   I hardly
>ever use a spreadsheet, but when I do, I would love to be able open a
>window with EXCEL instead of sc.

I'd say it's mostly the COST factor.  If say, Lotus 123, were available
for ESIX, at a price comparable with what it costs for the DOS version,
I'd consider buying a copy (but I don't use spreadsheets "that much").
The problem is, even if they offered it for the same ($495?), there isn't
the same competetion in the Unix world as there is in the DOS world,
so I woulnd't be able to walk into my local Egghead store and say
"I want you to beat the best price I've seen..."

--
bill at unixland.uucp                 The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
    ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill