Buying UNIX for a clone

Barnacle Wes wes at harem.clydeunix.com
Tue May 14 01:15:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991May1.222239.16203 at unixland.uucp>, bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
> To answer your question, I'm not sure which drive causes the problem.  It
> seems to be some incompatibility problem between the Toshiba and Maxtor
> drives.  Someone suggested that these two drives don't implement SCSI
> protocol very well, so they wouldn't be happy co-existing.

At my last job, we had a bunch of SGI Iris-4D workstations with SCSI
drives.  We needed to add a lot of disk space to about half the
workstations, so we bought a bunch of Seagate/CSC/Imprimus 4766 drives
in SGI-style enclosures, 3 to each machine.  Half of the workstations
were shipped by SGI with Toshiba drives, half with Maxtor.  The Seagate
drives work fine on the Maxtor equipped workstations, but attempting to
add more than one Seagate to any machine with a Toshiba drive results
in NONE of the Seagate drives repsonding.  SGI's 'fx' disk utility
complains of timeouts on the SCSI bus.  The same Seagate drives work
fine on a machine with a Maxtor drive.  Are the Toshiba MK series
drives causing this problem somehow?

I'm going to buy a 486 machine and Esix Vr4 later this summer and I
want to use the Adaptec 1542b with several :-) Seagate 1000 series
drives, i.e.  1096N.  Can anybody give me reports of their experiences
with these devices?  Prices on the Seagates seem to be pretty
reasonable (read: cheap!) lately.  Thanks in advance.

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>                               The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.                                   is much better than