wanted: UNIX or clone

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Thu May 2 11:22:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.212222.17102 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <9104271304.53 at rmkhome.UUCP> rmk at rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:
>>
>>Putting ISC on a home machine would be like have an old friend come to
>>visit, at least for me.  It's a little more expensive, but I can set it
>>up in my sleep.  I would not purchase Vpix or networking, so it could end
>>up being not much more than ESIX.
>>

>Maybe they've (ISC) has changed their pricing policy.  Back in September
>of 1990 when I was Unix-shopping, the only package that came close to
>what I needed (X11, etc) was around $1500 to 1800, if memory serves me
>right.  Esix was around $800.  Yeah, it's "a little more expensive" :-) :-)

What did you get for $800?  Recent posts here have seemed to say that a
2 user development package for ESIX with printed manuals is about $1300.

I haven't been thinking about Xwindows, as it seems to look lousy on a
small, 800x600 VGA monitor.  And 1Kx780 16" monitors ain't cheap.

>Do they now have more optional packages that make it possible to get
>the basic system with just Xwindows (and not all the other stuff that
>most home systems won't use anyway) for a lower price?

As far as I know, you can get ISC without Xwindows or networking.  I'm
not sure if you can get it without VPIX.  But I figured $1300-1400 for
ISC.

If there is a way to buy ESIX complete with manuals for $800, let me know
where.  This would certainly effect my decision.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP