Keypad defs' for EMACS under AT386 terminal type..????

leo at aai.com leo at aai.com
Fri May 3 07:37:57 AEST 1991

I replied by mail, but thought this might be of general interest.

>geoff at vax1.mankato.msus.edu writes:

>>Hello,

>>	Is there anyone out there that has a set of keypad/function key
>>definitions for gnuEMACS that will take advantage of the AT386 terminal type
>>and allow you to among other things use the arrow keys on the keyboard??

>I have one HOWEVER I am reluctant to release it for general use until I
>find out exactly how to stop an ESC from being eaten by a search command.

>The problem is, let's say you do a search...and then failing to find
>anything you want to use the cursor keys. The darn thing eats the ESC
>character (I think it wants to use that character to signify end of
>searching) and then the rest of the keycode shows gleefully up in
>your edited file.

>So (noting the Followup-To line) if anyone has any authoritative or
>informative ideas on how to fix this (or if it is even fixable) then
>I'll post or mail or whatever is appropriate my AT386.el file.
>--

This is the way it is intended and documented as working.  Incremental
searches in progress can be extended to include additional characters by
just typing them in.  So, a special character is needed to indicate that
you wish to end the search rather than add characters to the search string.
There are several ways to indicate that you are done searching:

	1) hitting the escape key
	2) hitting the abort key (^G)
	3) any movement command not starting with escape

I usually hit an ^A (beginning of line) or ^G to end a search.  If you
forget, just use ^X-U (undo) to remove the garbage.

--
Leo	leo at aai.com   leo%aai at uunet.uu.net   ...uunet!aai!leo