wanted: UNIX or clone

Jay Ts jay at metran.UUCP
Sun May 5 04:51:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991May4.125515.8831 at pegasus.com>, richard at pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> >WP comes with it's own terminal description database, with it's own (often
> >very different from the OS's default) names for terminal types.  For
> >instance, WP uses "scocons" and "scoconscol" as the type names for the
> >SCO console term emulation.
>
> Why must the MSDOS boys always enlist morons from the wrong side of the
> tracks to do their Unix ports for them?    :-(
>
> I'll bet their termcrap database is some inscrutable binary format just
> to keep mere mortals away.

Actually, I thought it worth mentioning that supporting terminals used
with WordPerfect is another thing to watch out for.  I don't have the
WordPerfect docs handy, but as I remember it, WordPerfect includes its
own terminal support, so before you buy WordPerfect to use with your
pet ADM-3a, you had better call them and ask if they support it.  Just
having a terminfo description is not enough.  I even had a little trouble
getting it to work with Wyse 60's; I found out that you I had to use the
"wyse-epc8" (that's not the correct name, but it's close :-) definition,
and I also had to change IXANY to IXOFF in the gettydef.

That was under Xenix 386.  I don't know how much of it applies to UNIX,
but it may be valuable info to you if you're planning to set up WordPerfect
sometime in the near future.

Jay Ts, Director
Metran Technology
Tampa FL