Does ESIX still not support RLL?

Wes Peters wes at harem.clydeunix.com
Thu May 2 07:53:51 AEST 1991

In article <3087 at cirrusl.UUCP>, dhesi%cirrusl at oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Perhaps Usenet posters ought to be saying "ESIX requires no more than
> 17 sectors per track" (if that is true, which it probably is not,
> because the disk off which I run ESIX has more than 17 sectors per
> track) instead of blaming it on the recording format.
>
> Better, still, say something like "ESIX doesn't support my disk
> controller, and it happens to use RLL recording, but the recording
> format many or many not have something to do with it."

In reality, the question has nothing to do with RLL or MFM encoding, it
has to do with whether or not the OS supports a particular type of
controller.  The OS needs to know a lot of information about a disk
controller, including where it's registers are located in the memory
map, what interrupt it is using, formats of the Command/Status
Register, what DMA channel if applicable, etc.

Esix publishes a list of hardware they are compatible with; get a copy
of the list.  If your disk controller isn't on there, find out if any
that ARE on the list work with your drives and buy a new disk
controller, or find out if another V/386 supports your disk controller
and buy it instead (this will probably be more expensive than replacing
the disk controller).

	Wes Peters
--
#include <std/disclaimer.h>                               The worst day sailing
My opinions, your screen.                                   is much better than