Somebody . . . Eureka!

Brian Crawford crawford at ENUXHA.EAS.ASU.EDU
Wed May 15 13:54:45 AEST 1991

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

It turned out to be the gettydef configuration (I went through it 4 or 5 times
before posting the question - honest! :)  Just threw the 'SANE' back in to
the settings, and all is well.

While I'm rambling here, two more questions:

1)  If I were writing a few programs, where each program had their own
    separate group ID defined in /etc/group along with the users with
    access to that group (along with the program attatched to it), how
    would I switch the users's group within a C program in order to run
    the program with as if they were part of that group?

    It is not possible to keep a user in one group, as I need to 'key'
    a set of programs by their own unique group somehow.  I've written a
    program to read the /etc/group file myself and determine group membership,
    but thought I'd post this to possibly find a better way.

    I tried using 'newgrp' command, but alas, it doesn't work for
    within a program.

2)  We do not always have someone present w/ super-user privs, and need to run
    'shutdown' from a few other accounts.  Could someone please recommend a way
    to shutdown the system down without superuser privilages? The 'shutdown'
    with this sytem (SCO XENIX 2.3.2) will only work from a super-user privs-
    even when the file ownership is changed at the command line.

Comments appreciated.
Brian Crawford               INTERNET (current):   crawford at enuxha.eas.asu.edu
PO Box 804                            (permanent): crawford at stjhmc.fidonet.org
Tempe, Arizona  85280        FidoNet:              1:114/15.12
USA                          Amateur:              KL7JDQ