AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 - Cry for installation help...

john.urban urban at cbnewsl.att.com
Fri May 17 02:22:24 AEST 1991

In article <6Pqw21w164w at gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us> gantzm at gantz.bowlgreen.oh.us (gantzm) writes:
>Ok here's the situation:
>                ALR Business VEISA 486/33
>                17 Mega Bytes Memory
>                Western Digital MFM controller
>                40 Mb Hard Disk 0
>                32 Mb Hard Disk 1
>                Monochrome display and card
>                Archive VP402 Adapter Card
>                Archive 60 Mb Tape Drive / Model 2060L???
>                Nothing else, all serial/par ports taken out.
>
>        Software:
>                AT&T Unix System V Rel 4.0 (Ver 2.1)
>                Cartridge Tape Boot Version (2 boot disk/tape, etc)
>
>Problem:
>        System boots from boot disks and prepares hard disk fine.
>System then reboots off of the hard disks.  System asks if I want
>to install from Tape or Floppy disk, I answer Tape bacause thats
>all I have.  Well after that, the tape light comes on, nothing happens
>, and the system then tells me to check my tape drive....
>
>        Has anyone gotten AT&T SysV Rel 4.0 to load off of an Archive
>tape drive?????  I followed the settings in the book (IRQ=5, DMA=1,
>port = 288) and it doesn't work.  I talked to Archive and they said
>to try port = 300, well on the address the tape light does not even
>come on.  The Unix guru at Archive is out of the country till June.

Not to cop out or coin a phase but ... "AT&T UNIX is only supported on AT&T
Hardware platforms".  I know this is a cop out but at least AT&T verifies
that all configurations of its hardware work together with it's software.

AT&T UNIX System V/x86 Release 4.0 Version 2.1 supports: 386, 486, ISA and EISA.

I see you have alot of plug in cards on your box.  Are any of these cards (besides
the Tape Drive) set at IRQ 5 DMA=1 I/O 288 -> 289?

The Archive Tape Drive is not really the one supported by AT&T.  I belive USL
supports it however.

If you could get a Wangtek Tape Drive and Controller that should work fine.

Sincerely,

John Ben Urban