Weird serial port problem

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Wed May 15 23:50:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991May14.171546.12301 at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> puglia at cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:

>I am running UNIX HOUSE sysv5 rel 4 on one of there 486 boxes.  Yesterday,
>I installed a second serial card in the machine by manually adding it to
>into the system. ...

>it responds
>to the login request really slow. It seems to be printing the welcome message
>one character at a time with a long pause in between characters.

Had that one time on a Xenix system.  Changed to a different serial card
and it went away.   On that system the characters were being presented at
about 1 character per second.    That, I thought, was a bit slow for a 9600
bps link :-)   Can you borrow another serial board to try?

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP