u386mon dumping core (was: Re: out of swap space??)

ian reid ir at crosfield.co.uk
Tue May 7 18:57:48 AEST 1991

In article <1991May4.214132.27702 at cti-software.nl> pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>In article <17 at metran.UUCP> jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>>
>>(Also, note that the current version of u386mon dumps core on ISC 2.2
>>systems if you try to access the process screen.  On at least one system,
>>anyway...)
>
>I've noticed that u386mon compiled on a 2.0.2 system will dump core
>as described running on a 2.2 system.

I had the problem of u386mon core dumping when going into the process screen.
I tracked the problem down to a variable HZ being set to a null string in the
environment.  It is set in /etc/default/login to HZ=100 (on ISC 2.2.1), so
why it should have turned up as a null string I don't know.  Anyway u386mon
uses HZ to do arithmetic, including using it as a divisor, hence the core
dump.  If HZ is not set in the environment u386mon uses the value in
/usr/include/sys/param.h.

The workaround was so simple that I didn't spend any time discovering why
HZ was being improperly set in the environment.  As I had u386mon wrapped up in
a shell script I simply did an unset HZ and used the compiled in value.
--
Ian Reid 					#include <std/disclaimer.h>
UUCP: ir at cel.uucp or ir at cel.co.uk or    ...!{ukc,mcsun,uunet}!cel!ir