Roell's X11 and ET4000 performance

Marc Saes marc at gem.stack.urc.tue.nl
Fri May 31 00:56:27 AEST 1991

Hi there to all users of Thomas Roell's X11 port and an ET4000 based VGA board.
I have seen several different ET4000 boards lately and I noticed extremely
large performance differences. For example the difference between the
TRICOM card and a VGA ULTRA card: (both running 1152x900 resolution at
62 MHz vs. 65 MHz dot clock, the SCLK's of the ET4000 were 36 MHz and 50 MHz
respectively):(a 386 25MHz system without cache was used):

x11perf -scroll100   73/sec with TRICOM, 152/sec with VGA ULTRA.

This means scrolling performance practically doubled, which is very
important since scrolling performance is the more noticable
bottleneck of VGA boards.

I would like to compile a comparison list between different ET4000 cards
under X11, I will post the results. The questions I need answered are:

* What is the name of your card
* Does it have a frequency synthesizer (2 crystals) or multiple crystals
(4 and more)
* What is the SCLK of the ET4000 (if you don't know, leave this out)
* Name all the crystal frequencies
* Mention your bus speed (8 MHz, 12.5 ,  .. 16 MHz)
* Mention the number of wait states (if you know them)
* Do the following benchmark from a fresh system with one xterm:
x11perf -seg100 -scroll100
report the output
* Mention your screen resolution
* Which CPU, cache or no cache, CPU clock freq

Thanks for your cooperation,

Marc.