Opinions wanted on best UNIX for networking

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Thu May 30 01:26:29 AEST 1991

According to a price list sent to me by ESIX this week, one can buy a
basic, 2-user ESIX O/S with TCP/IP, NFS, and X11r4 for a mere $695.
That will run on your average 386 with a LAN card, 4-Mb memory and a
60-Mb hard drive costing on the order of $2000.  This is, by far, the
cheapest NFS server one can buy (aside from a DOS system running SOSS,
developed by yours truly and some other folks).

I don't know what kind of performance one could get out of this setup,
but it blows the doors off SCO Unix for price (ODT is the equivalent
offering from SCO, and I'm not sure of its price but I think it's about
$1500 and it includes X11r3 and SysVr3 instead of r4 of each.)  If you
don't want ODT, you have to pay extra for SCO TCP/IP, NFS, and the
"TCP/IP Development System", all separate line items.

Disclaimer:  I don't work for ESIX but I'm suddenly more interested in
their products.

-rich