SCO License security - another flame

Gordon Runkle gar at spiff.UUCP
Tue May 7 00:58:39 AEST 1991

In article <1991May04.194857.12216 at kithrup.COM> sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
   In article <91V712w164w at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
   >System Vr4.0,

   A piece of crap.  Buggy as hell, larger than 3.2, slow, ugly.

I must take issue with this.  I use SCO UNIX, SCO XENIX, and SVR4.
SVR4 is far and away the superior product.  For example, I can network
with BSD machines much better (lp works accross the net), whereas
SCO's products require some unfortunate "rsh" (or for SCO, "rcmd")
hacks to get an impoverished imitation of network printer services.

As far as the 'buggy as hell' assertion, this seems to echo SCO's
official position, and is not consistent with reality.  I've not
encountered any showstoppers in SVR4.  (SCO didn't complain when SCO
UNIX 3.2v0 was 'buggy as hell'.)  The next version of SVR4 (version 3)
should fix the few remaining annoyances.

Yes, it's larger than 3.2.  That's largely because it does more.
(Better VM, VFS, etc).

Slow?  Doesn't look too slow to me, and I'm not even running it on
"hot" hardware.

Ugly?  Seems a pretty subjective statement to me.

-=gordon=-
--
Gordon A. Runkle,  Runkle Research
UUCP: uunet!cmi486!spiff!gar   INTERNET: gar at spiff.cminc.com
PHONE:  703-522-0825

The difference between 'theory' and 'practice' in theory
is less than the difference between 'theory' and 'practice' in practice.
       --Unknown sage